The results off the KBQ C-60 are what pit master dreams are made of!
And, what makes this barbecue such a favorite here at BurningBrisket.com is that the innovative features of this ‘cue make it possible for ANYONE to make competition-worthy meats, even if you’ve never smoked before. But, this dedicated smoker isn’t just for beginners. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to make traditional barbecue in their backyard and has the time to do just that.
But, there’s a few things to be aware of before you race to hit the buy now button. In this KBQ C 60 review, we’ll give you the low-down on how this smoker works and what makes it so great so you can decide if it’s the right pit for you.
- 100% stainless steel design
- True stick burner
- Trademarked Inverted Flame technology for foolproof creation of perfect, blue smoke
- Dual fan system to circulate heat evenly in the cooking chamber
- 960 square inches of smoking space
- Adjustable stainless steel racks
- Racks can be swapped out for catering pans
- Rear wheels
- Competition approved
Barbecue type: 100% wood log offset or pit smoker
Fuel type: Wood logs
Barbecue material: 18-gauge 430 stainless steel
Grate material: Stainless steel
Cooking capacity: 960 sq. in.
Price guide: $$$$
Dimensions: 41.7(H) x 25.6(W) x 19.3(D)
Warranty: 2 years
Review of the KBQ C 60 Pit Smoker
If you haven’t tasted meat smoked on the KBQ C 60 yet, lets just say that it’s without a doubt some of the absolutely finest barbecue that you’ll ever taste in your life! And, this unit is so easy to use that even the noobiest newbie could have cooked it up without any help.
So, when the learning curve on a traditional stick burner is admittedly a long one, how is it that this ‘cue makes making the finest smoked meat so darn easy?
Well, the answer is the KBQ C 60 Pit Smoker’s trademarked Inverted Flame Firebox.
How Does the Kraubecue C 60 Work?
If you’ve ever cooked on an offset smoker, you’ll know that it takes a bit of practice to work out how to make a charcoal and/or wood fire that gives off nice, clear smoke that gives your meat flavor without adding any burnt, creosote taste. But, the Inverted Flame Firebox (IFF) on the KBQ C 60 does the work for you.
Unlike the setup of traditional offset smokers, this trademarked stainless steel box sits neatly on top of the vertical cooking chamber. Here it pulls heavy heat and smoke from underneath the fire through the flames, burning off the nasty stuff to leave beautiful, light blue smoke ready for cooking. This light blue smoke then gets sent into the thermostatically cooking chamber where it works it’s magic without you having to do any of the hard work to get the fire ‘just right’.
But, you don’t have no control when cooking on the Kraubecue. Thanks to the also trademarked, Smoke Selector, there’s actually three positions you can set the firebox up in. These let you choose that perfectly light and clean smoke, a more moderate flavor or heavy and ultra-smoky which works well on things like sausages when you want a shorter but still flavorful smoke with plenty of bark.
But, it’s not just the Inverted Flame Firebox that gives you legit results from the KBQ C 60. It’s also the trademarked AutoDraft feature that maintains the perfect smoking temperature of 250 degrees without you having to do a thing.
Instead, the Draft Fan automatically turns itself on and off to draw heat from the firebox when required and mix it with the natural convection flow in the cooking chamber to circulate an even temperature that means you don’t even need to rotate your meat.
The Cooking Chamber
As for the cooking chamber itself, the KBQ C 60 gives you a generous 960 square inches of cooking space. This is spread over 4 included stainless steel racks that can be set up in 12 different slots allowing you the flexibility to cook large cuts like brisket and pork butt alongside racks of ribs, chicken thighs or sausages.
But, what’s also handy is that the racks are the same size as standard catering steam pans. These aren’t included as standard with the KBQ C 60, but, are handy to add-on if you want to use this ‘cue for small foods like vegetables or for simply keeping your food warm while you serve up.
The entire cooking chamber is made from #430 180-gauge stainless steel making it rust-resistant and strong while eliminating the common offset smoker problem of flaking paint due to exposing powder-coated steel to heat that’s too high. It’s also super simple to clean by wiping down because you don’t need to worry about damaging the surface paint.
The KBQ C 60 is NOT a Set and Forget Smoker
While the KBQ C-60 smoker pit automates temperature control and smoke generation, it is NOT a set and forget smoker!
Instead, it needs to be fed a steady supply of the right sized logs every 30 minutes or so to keep things running. Your logs need to be a particular size too – generally a bit larger than a Red Bull can and a bit smaller than a standard sized brick.
But, apart from prepping the meat, adding fuel every half hour is all you need to do create absolutely exceptional results on this smoker. So, if you don’t mind hanging around the yard chatting to mates or kicking a ball around with the kids then the KBQ C 60 is hands-down an awesome purchase. But, if you had views of turning this thing on and controlling it for a 12 hour burn via your phone then check out some alternatives at the end of this review.
Pros of the Karubecue C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit:
- Will consistently and quite effortlessly produce some of the best barbecue you’ll ever taste
- 100% stainless steel design is rust-resistant, won’t flake like paint and is easy to clean
- Trademarked Inverted Flame Firebox creates perfectly thin, blue smoke without having to spend years learning how to do just that
- Suitable for beginners to competitors
- Trademarked Smoke Selector lets you choose to have a lighter or stronger flavor depending on what you’re cooking
- Trademarked AutoDraft feature uses dual fans to automatically keep a stable temperature in the cooking chamber
- Convection fans circulate heat well so you don’t need to turn the meat
- Large cooking capacity with adjustable racks for flexibility
- Doesn’t take up much space in the yard
- Hidden wheels to make it easy to move
- Approved for use in most barbecue competitions
Cons of the Karubecue C-60 BBQ Smoker Pit:
- Time intensive as you do need a steady source of the right sized logs and to feed them into the burner every 30 minutes or so
- Must be treated like a campfire due to the open flame. So, set up somewhere safe where pets and kids can’t reach it
- Also requires electricity to run convection fans
- Can’t be used as a grill; low and slow only
Our Verdict on the KBQ C-60 Review
The KBQ C 60 offset smoker pit is the product of years and years of research and development to make it easy for anyone to create true hardwood fired barbecue. And that they’ve truly achieved while keeping the results top-notch and the product very affordable.
If you love true wood-fired barbecue but don’t have the patience to learn how to use a traditional offset smoker, we can’t recommend the KBQ C-60 any more highly!
Not Quite What You Were Looking For? What About These...
- Large firebox holds enough charcoal to burn for up to 8 hours without having to add more fuel
- Unique shape with internal damper creates even cooking environment where meat doesn’t need turning
- Huge cooking capacity
- Firebox suitable for grilling over