The Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker is one of the best-selling smokers on BurningBrisket.com. It’s a great value for money, budget-friendly smoker that’s often a go-to choice for beginners or anyone wanting a large capacity unit that doesn’t take up much space on the ground. Before you buy, check out our Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker Review to find out if it’s the right one for you.
Burning Brisket is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate policy to learn more.
Table of Contents
Features of the Dyna-Glo Vertical
- Vertical design to maximize benefit from offset heat and smoke flow
- Basic, powder-coated steel offset setup
- Huge 1,176 square inches of cooking space
Ease of use:
- Height adjustable cooking grates
- Weather resistant adjustable chimney damper
- Removable ash tray
- Removable grease cup
- Two larger handles for easy moving
- Charcoal basket for easy handling and improved fuel efficiency
Review of the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker
As you’d expect of a smoker in this price range, the build of the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker isn’t super high-quality. But, for a very reasonable sum you’ll get yourself a lightweight, high-temperature powder-coated steel unit with an adjustable chimney damper for easy temperature control. The firebox is housed right next to the vertical cooking chamber and has an effective rotary air intake damper. It also contains a charcoal basket, improving fuel usage by holding the coals tight for a hotter fire.
In terms of cooking on the Dyna-Glo Vertical Smoker, this ‘cue has six adjustable smoking racks stacked above one another to give a total of 1,176 square inches of cooking space. For most people, this is more than enough room to cook for the family plus guests and you’ll probably still have leftovers too.
Because of the vertical configuration, you do need to be a bit careful of where you place your meats. The racks closer to the fire will of course get more heat while the top racks are better for things that don’t need as much cooking like vegetables and fish. But, you can easily use the uneven heat inside the Dyna-Glo Vertical to your advantage once you learn what works for you and your cooking line-up.
As far as extras go, with the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker, there’s nothing fancy. The legs are strong and sturdy enough to hold a smoker full of weight and there’s a handle on either side of the unit to make it easy for two people to move. The built-in temperature gauge isn’t the most accurate. But, it’s enough to get the job done. There’s also a smoke zone target range printed into the display making it really easy for beginners to know what temperature to aim for.
If you are investing in the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset for your backyard, we do recommend making a few simple and inexpensive mods from the get-go. Add a tube of high-heat silicone and a LavaLock gasket to your cart and use these to seal up the gaps between the firebox and cooking chamber and around both doors to keep more heat and smoke where you want it.
Pros of the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker
- Great value for money
- Offset design gives that authentic barbecued flavor
- Large cooking capacity despite not taking up much room on the ground
- Temperature gauge is reasonably accurate and has smoke zone markings making it easy for beginners
- Charcoal holding box keeps coals compact for improved efficiency and easy handling
- Cleaning is easy thanks to the removable ash pan and drip tray
Cons of the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker
- Steel is thin so it won’t hold heat very well, especially in cooler and wetter climates
- Does leak a reasonable amount of smoke which can be fixed by sealing joins with high-heat silicone and fitting an aftermarket gasket tape
- The paint is prone to flaking over time and if you run the fire too hot. But, you can fix by sanding back and reapplying high-heat barbecue paint
Specs for the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset
Barbecue type: Charcoal vertical offset smoker
Fuel type: Charcoal
Barbecue material: Powder-coated steel
Grate material: Chrome-plated steel
Cooking capacity: 1,176 sq. in.
Price guide: $
Dimensions: 50.2(H) x 35(W) x 21(D)
Warranty: 1 year
FAQs About the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
Q. Can you grill on the Dyna-Glo Offset? No. It’s a dedicated smoker. If you want an offset that doubles as a grill, check out the Dyna-Glo Signature Series Vertical Offset Smoker and Grill.
Q. Is the Dyna-Glo Vertical Smoker suitable for beginners? Yes. It’s fairly easy to use but just remember that offset smokers aren’t set and forget.
Q. Does a rack of ribs fit in the DGO1176BDC-D? Baby back ribs might but a rack of ribs definitely fits easier in the wide body version.
Q. What mods do you recommend for the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset? It doesn’t absolutely need any. But, if you like a super tight fit then a self-stick gasket around the door is always an option.
Q. Can you cold smoke on the Dyna-Glo Offset? Yep. Once you get the hang of the temperature regulation, you should be able to keep it at 125-150°F which is good for cold smoking.
Our Verdict on the Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker Review
The Dyna-Glo Vertical Offset Smoker is one of the best value for money traditional charcoal smokers on the market. Unlike a lot of cheap offset smokers, the vertical design helps to maximize heat and smoke distribution for a better cook even though the quality of the steel isn’t on par with more expensive alternatives.
Overall, it’s an excellent option for anyone wanting a charcoal offset smoker on a pretty tight budget.
Fancy Yourself an Upgrade?
- Thicker gauge steel for better heat retention and fuel efficiency
- Doubles as a grill with additional grate over the firebox
- Comes with sausage hooks for hanging meats