If you’re after a barbecue that can do it all, you’ve come to the right place! And, while you might be a bit hesitant, wondering if the one unit really can do a good job of both smoking and grilling, trust us when we say that the best smoker grill combo barbecues in this article are a blessing all in one.
So, if you don’t have room for two barbecues, or simply don’t want to spend the extra money, get your hands on one of these babies. Each of these have been chosen based on their versatility, quality, durability, temperature range, ease of use, and of course, their results. Read on to find the best combo barbecue for your needs.
The 7 Best Smoker Grill Combo Barbecues of 2019
Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse - Best Offset Smoker and Grill
Kamado Joe Classic II - Best Kamado Grill Smoker Combo
Oklahoma Joe's Gas and Charcoal Combo - Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill
Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with Sear Box - Best Pellet Grill Smoker Combo
Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1 - Best Electric, Gas and Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo
Memphis Grills Pro Pellet Grill and Smoker - Best Premium Smoker Grill Combo
Best Charcoal Smoker and Grill:
Pit Barrel Co. Cooker
We’re starting off this list of the best smoker grill combo barbecues with the most basic and cheapest option. But, cheap doesn’t mean poor quality in this case! In fact, the Pit Barrel Co. Cooker is one of the top rated smokers and has been for years and years. And, it’s suitable for grilling too.
With a simple, porcelain-enameled steel drum design, the Pit Barrel Cooker makes use of it’s vertical orientation to draw the heat upwards and reduce cooking times. The charcoal fire is built at the bottom of the drum and the cooking grates sit on top ready to be doused in your smoke of choice. There’s even hooks included in the package price to give you more flexibility to smoke multiple racks of ribs and other cuts efficiently and effectively.
To use the Pit Barrel Cooker for grilling, simply stack your meat on the grate that’s closest to the fire. We do find it a bit difficult to reach the meat you’re grilling on this ‘cue. But, it does a great job, and really is an added bonus if you’ll mainly be using your barbecue for smoking.
Unlike offset smokers and similar to kamados, the Pit Barrel Cooker doesn’t need constant temperature monitoring. Simply load it up and get on with entertaining, watching the game or finishing that yard work. And, once it’s done, you’ll have yourself some competition-quality barbecue.
The Pit Barrel Co. Cooker offers unbeatable value for anyone who primarily wants a smoker but will be doing some occasional grilling.
Stats for the Pit Barrel Cooker
Fuel type: Charcoal
Barbecue material: Porcelain-enameled, 18-gauge steel
Grate material: Stainless steel or regular steel depending on accessory
Cooking capacity: Varies depending on accessories used
Model: Pit Barrel Cooker Classic Package
Assembled size (in): 21″ W x 31.1″ H x 21″ D
Warranty: 1 year
Pros of the Pit Barrel Cooker:
- Amazing reviews from hundreds of satisfied customers
- Creates competition-worthy results
- Durable, porcelain-enameled drum barbecue
- Serves primarily as a smoker but does work as a grill as well
- Easy to use
- Large cooking capacity compared to small footprint
- Keeps a fairly stable temperature without needing constant adjustments
- Comes with smoking and grilling grates, hooks for hanging meat and a couple of spice mixes to get you started
- Is fairly portable
Cons of the Pit Barrel Cooker:
- Throw a pair of extra long barbecue gloves in your cart at the same time! These will make it easier and safer to access your meat when grilling and smoking in the vertical drum
Best Offset Grill and Smoker:
Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker offers traditional wood and charcoal smoking with the added bonus of being able to grill directly over the firebox, or, being able to set up the entire cooking chamber as a mega charcoal grill. So, it’s very versatile and a great value for money option on a quality smoker grill combo that’ll be the pride of your backyard for years and years to come!
Solid and reliable, this painted steel drum offers a large 619 square inches of smoking space alongside 281 square inches of firebox grilling. But, the reverse flow design gives it a step up from the typical offset smoker. Inside, there’s an additional baffle plate that absorbs and radiates heat while the strategically positioned holes allow smoke through to cook evenly and reduce the need to rotate your meat.
Complete with quality dampers, a strong cart with built-in storage, an accurate temperature gauge and fuel box to improve burn efficiency, the Highland Reverse is everything you need for backyard smoking and grilling without the unnecessary frills.
And, while it will take you a bit of practice to master cooking on an offset smoker, once you do, you’ll be impressing everyone you know with your legit results.
Stats for the Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse Offset Smoker
Fuel type: Charcoal or wood
Barbecue material: Painted steel
Grate material: Porcelain-coated wire
Cooking capacity: 619 sq. in. primary, 281 sq. in. secondary
Assembled size (in): 53(H) x 57(W) x 33.5(D)
Warranty: 2 years
Pros of the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker:
- Offset smoker design arguably creates the most authentic tasting smoked meat
- Large smoking capacity
- Can be used for grilling in the firebox while smoking, or, set up as a large charcoal grill in the cooking chamber
- Reverse flow design offers improved heat and smoke distribution for an easier cook
- Can also be set up as a traditional offset smoker without the baffle plate
- Cart is sturdy and easy to move by yourself
- Temperature gauge is fairly accurate
- Second bung allows you to add another temperature gauge if you want more feedback
- Durable barbecue that’ll last years and years with proper care
Cons of the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Offset Charcoal Smoker:
- Does leak some smoke around the doors and firebox. We didn’t find it significant enough to affect results but you could seal with a gasket and high-heat silicon if this bothers you
- Let the fire get too hot and the paint will flake, exposing the steel underneath to the possibility of rusting. But, it’s easy to fix by sanding back and respraying with fresh barbecue paint
Best Kamado Grill Smoker Combo:
Kamado Joe Classic II
When it comes to having a great multi-purpose barbecue in your backyard, a kamado will give you pretty much unlimited options in terms of what you can cook. And, our best smoker grill combo article couldn’t be complete without our favorite kamado of all time, the Kamado Joe Classic II.
Now, this heavy-duty ceramic cooker is suitable for not only grilling and low and slow smoking, it also makes for a perfect outdoor oven for roasting and baking and can whip up some to-die-for home made pizzas too. Yes, it’s a bit more pricey than some of the options on this list. But, when you consider the versatility and longevity you’re getting from this one purchase, it’s a bargain buy!
But, in terms of the Kamado Joe Classic II itself, this ‘cue provides unparalleled quality with innovative additions that really set it apart from the competition. To start with, there’s the unique six piece firebox. This sits at the base of the kamado. Because it’s already broken up, this allows the ceramic to naturally expand and contract with changing heat levels so that you’re not left with a cracked product that needs replacing.
Then, there’s the industry-leading wire mesh fiberglass gasket that, along with the stainless steel latch, not only seals your kamado totally tight, but will keep it that way for 10 times longer than any other kamado on the market.
To make lifting the heavy ceramic lid easy, Kamado Joe have invented the Air Lift Hinge. This baby reduces the weight of the lid by about 96% so that your nana, toddler, and probably even the dog, could whip it up and swipe some ribs without you suspecting a thing…
In terms of temperature control, the patented, cast aluminum Kontrol Tower allows for precise heat control while also keeping the weather out. This coupled with the thick, ceramic body make the Kamado Joe Classic II an awesome choice for anyone looking for a combo barbecue in cooler climates.
Stats for the Kamado Joe Classic II
Fuel type: Charcoal
Barbecue material: Glazed ceramic
Grate material: 304 stainless steel
Cooking capacity: 256 sq. in. in basic setup, 407 sq. in. with grill expander, 508 sq. in. with 2 sets of grates or 660 sq. in. with 2 sets of grates and expander
Heat Range: 225°F-750°F
Model: Classic II
Assembled size (in): 46.5″ W x 48″ H x 28″ D
Warranty: Lifetime on ceramics, 5 years on metal parts, 3 years on heat deflector and pizza stone, 1 year on thermometer and gasket
Pros of the Kamado Joe Classic II:
- Grills, smokes, sears, bakes, braises and roasts
- High-quality ceramic body coupled with industry-leading gasket and stainless steel latch holds heat and smoke perfectly
- Suitable for cooking in colder climates
- Air Lift Hinge makes it easy and safe to open and close the lid
- Six piece firebox design won’t crack if you accidentally run it too hot
- Durable and rust-resistant stainless steel cooking grates
- Patented Kontrol Tower gives precise temperature control while keeping rain and wind out
- Divide and Conquer cooking system lets you add more square inches to your cooking space while also allowing you the flexibility to mix and match different cooking surfaces at one time
- Easy to clean, slide out ash drawer
- Excellent warranty
- Available with a cart or as a stand-alone ‘cue for use in an outdoor kitchen
Cons of the Kamado Joe Classic II:
- Does offer a limited cooking size, even with the Divide and Conquer Cooking System of expandable grates. But, faster cook times mean it’s easier to work in batches anyway
Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill:
Oklahoma Joe’s Combo Charcoal & Gas Offset Smoker
When it comes to traditional offset smoking with the added convenience of gas grilling, Oklahoma Joe’s have you covered! With the OJ Gas and Charcoal Combo, you get just over 1,000 square inches of cooking space, split between the two fuel types.
Use charcoal and wood to smoke the traditional way while you grill in the firebox, sear some steaks up quickly on the propane grill and simmer that sauce down on the convenient side burner. This baby lets you do it all. The propane side burner is also sized just right for you to pop your charcoal chimney on top to get your coals going effortlessly.
If you’re wondering about the quality on such a diverse grill, be comforted by the fact that this is one of the top models in Char-Broils range of smokers and grills. Made from heavy-gauge steel that’s thick enough to handle the heat without warping, and with 3 powerful, 12,000 BTU burners plus an extra side burner of the same strength, the Oklahoma Joe’s Combo can handle anything you want to throw at it.
With two accurate temperature gauges, quality, easy to use dampers and a cart that offers more than enough storage for fuel and your propane bottle, the gas and charcoal combo of this ‘cue will serve even the most experimental of pit masters well for years to come.
Stats for the Oklahoma Joe Combo Grill and Smoker
Barbecue material: Painted 2.5mm steel
Grate material: Porcelain-coated cast-iron
Fuel type: Charcoal, wood and gas
Cooking capacity: 325 sq. in. smoking, 325 sq. in. gas grill + 310 sq. in. shared between firebox grill and additional gas side grill
BTU: 3 x 12,000 main burners, 12,000 side burner
Assembled size (in): 50.6(H) x 74(W) x 31.5(D)
Warranty: 2 years
Pros of the Oklahoma Joe’s Combo:
- Versatile barbecue that lets you smoke traditionally, grill over charcoal or fire up the propane for a quick mid-week meal
- Very large cooking capacity
- Great value for money on what’s essentially two barbecues in one
- Heavy-gauge steel design
- Powerful propane burners give plenty of heat for grilling
- Rust-resistant, porcelain-coated cast-iron grates for durability
- Accurate dual temperature gauges
- Sturdy cart with built-in storage including propane bottle cutout
- Large firebox is easy to clean
Cons of the Oklahoma Joe’s Combo:
- The split in fuel types means that you don’t actually have a huge capacity if you want to just smoke or just grill at one time
- Susceptible to smoke leakage around the offset smoker doors. It isn’t a major, but, seal it up with some LavaLock gasket tape if you think this will bother you
Best Pellet Grill Smoker Combo:
Camp Chef Woodwind SG 24 Pellet Grill with Sear Box
If you like the convenience of set and forget pellet smoking, but you want to be able to grill as well, then the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill is one of your only options. But, it’s a great one!
While most pellet smokers don’t burn a fire that’s hot enough to do high-heat searing well, Camp Chef have solved this dilemma by adding a neat little gas searing station on the side. With an extra large pellet hopper, simply load up your meat and pellets and walk away while your tri-tip smokes on more than 800 square inches of cooking space. Once it’s done, fire up the gas grill and reverse sear it on the 184 square inch side burner.
But, it’s not just the multi-purpose capability of the Camp Chef Woodwind that makes this a great barbecue. The Smart Smoke Technology does a great job of regulating the temperature and smoke levels to maintain your desired cooking heat without much in the way of fluctuations. It also comes with two meat probes so you’ll never have under or over-cooked meat again, and, a patented Ash Cleanout System so all you need to do is pull a lever and your job is done. The grill grates are even dishwasher safe.
Stats for the Camp Chef Woodwind SG 24 Pellet Grill with Sear Box
Barbecue material: Stainless steel
Grate material: Enamel-coated steel lower rack, nickel plated upper rack, enamel-coated cast iron sear rack
Cooking capacity: 429 sq. in. lower rack, 382 sq. in. upper rack, 184 sq. in. sear rack
Pellet hopper capacity: 22lbs
Heat Range: 160°F – 500°F in smoking box, up to 700°F in sear box
Fuel type: Wood pellet
Assembled size (in): 42(H)
Warranty: 3 years
Pros of the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 Pellet Grill with Sear Box:
- Versatile ‘cue that can smoke, grill, sear, roast and bake
- Convenience of set and forget pellet smoking technology
- Convenience of gas side grilling
- Wide temperature range
- Large cooking capacity
- Rust-resistant, stainless steel body
- Extra large hopper allows for long cooks without having to add more fuel
- Pellet hopper window makes it easy to see when it needs refilling
- Includes 2 meat probes for perfectly smoked meats
- Easy to clean ash system
- Built-in bottle opener
Cons of the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 Pellet Grill with Sear Box:
- A few quality control issues reported
Best Electric, Gas and Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo:
Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1
Options galore is the name of the game on the Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1 barbecue. This ‘cue is not only equipped with a gas grill and a charcoal grill, but, it’s also got an electric smoked tucked away below.
Now, before we go any further, just keep in mind that this smoker grill combo is primarily a grill! While you can filter a bit of smoke from the electric box into either the gas grill or charcoal grill, there’s no true offset smoking feature. But, if you’re mainly a grill-man or woman and just want a side of smoking then this is the beast for you.
With a total cooking capacity of 2,127 square inches split between the different fuel types, you’ll be able to cook enough for the neighborhood. Or, just fire up one section to keep fuel usage low when it’s just the family. There’s six different grate position options to give you the kind of flexibility you want from an all-in-one grill and smoker.
In terms of quality, as the price suggests, you’re getting a cheaper painted steel body. But, the front air intake and rear chimney make temperature control fairly easy while you monitor things on the built-in temperature gauges.
The Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1 also has a tonne of integrated storage. Simply sit your propane bottle to one side, fill the drawers with utensils and wood chips and prep your meal on the convenient side tables. This really is a true combo smoker for anyone who wants a lot of options at an affordable price.
Stats for the Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1
Fuel type: Charcoal, gas and electric
Barbecue material: Painted steel
Grate material: Porcelain-coated cast-iron
Cooking capacity: 2,127 sq in
Number of gas burners: 3
Main burners BTU-per-hour-input: 15,000
Wattage electric smoker: 1,500
Assembled size (in):47.5(H) x 74(W) x 25(D)
Warranty: 1 year
Pros of the Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1:
- Versatile barbecue that lets you grill and smoke
- Convenience of full sized gas grilling
- Flavor of charcoal grilling
- Bonus of electric smoking
- Can filter smoke from electric box into either grill for a more smoky flavor
- Large total cooking capacity
- Great value for money
- Porcelain-coated, cast-iron cooking grates are durable and rust-resistant
- Large cart serves as a total all-in-one backyard barbecue solution
Cons of the Pit Boss Memphis Ultimate 4-in-1:
- Takes a while to set up this barbecue
- Not the highest quality build
- Electric smoker doesn’t give the same great results as a smoker that uses a real fire
- Due to all the different components, it takes longer than usual to set up this barbecue together the first time
Best Premium Smoker Grill Combo:
Memphis Grills Pro Pellet Grill and Smoker
The Memphis Wood Fire Grills Pro is the epitome of luxury backyard cooking. It looks like a gas grill without the knobs. But, this sleek and sexy beast is actually a high-powered pellet smoker. And, by high-powered we mean that, yes, it’s specifically designed to also get hot enough to grill directly over the pellet fire when using the included perforated insert.
Constructed from 100% stainless steel that’s doubled walled for superior insulation, the Memphis Grills Pro combines the use of a basic wood fire with the technology of a high-spec kitchen oven. You’ve got an oven grade gasket to provide a leak-proof seal. Plus, there’s also two four-inch fans that circulate heat for an even cook that’s set up to get you competition-worthy results right from the get-go.
And, because easy is the name of the game when it comes to the Memphis Pro Pellet Smoker, there’s also WiFi control. With two separate pellet hoppers for you to mix and match different woods and smoke for up to 62 hours without touching a thing, you’ll love being able to monitor your cook direct from your smartphone.
Grilling on the Memphis Pro is simple too. Just add in the perforated insert and you’ll have instant heat like a gas grill. But, because it’s from a pure wood fire, you’ll also get a slightly smoky flavor to add authenticity to your cook.
In terms of capacity, the Memphis Pro Pellet Smoker isn’t huge. In basic setup you’ll be able to fit 562 square inches of food. Generally that’s enough for most people’s everyday requirements. But, there’s also additional racks that bring the total cooking space up to 834 square inches for when you’re entertaining. Or, step it up to the Elite model for even more space.
Stats for the Memphis Pro 24" Freestanding Pellet Grill and Smoker
Fuel type: Wood pellet
Model: VG0001S4 (#430 stainless steel) and VG000S2 (#340 stainless steel)
Assembled size (in): 47(H) x 57(W) x 29(D)
Warranty: 30 days on meat probe, 3 years on electronics, 7 years on remaining parts
Pros of the Memphis Pro Pellet Grill and Smoker:
- 100% stainless steel construction for maximum protection against rust while making it easy to clean
- Insulated with a double walled design and oven-grade gasket for superior heat retention
- Excellent fuel efficiency
- Suitable for low and slow smoking, baking, roasting, or high-heat grilling
- Includes perforated insert to grill directly over the pellet fire
- Dual convection fans circulate heat for an even cook so you don’t need to turn meat
- Dual pellet hoppers allow you to create unique flavors with your smoke
- Large hopper capacity allows for continuous smoking for up to 62 hours
- Reasonable cooking capacity that’s not over-kill
- WiFi enabled smartphone app for wireless control
- Comes with one meat probe so you know exactly when your meat is done
- Space for two additional meat probes
- Covered in cart leaves your outdoor area neat and tidy
- Also available in a built-in model for outdoor kitchens
- Excellent warranty
Cons of the Memphis Pro Pellet Grill and Smoker:
- Need to upgrade to the Memphis Grills Elite if you want more smoking and grilling space