Dreaming of smoking your own meat in your backyard? These days, there’s an incredible range of smokers for home use. So, if you want to bring the latest episode of BBQ Pitmasters to your own yard, it’s really as easy as choosing your weapon, grabbing some fresh ribs and enjoying a cold one while you wait.
But, before you wander the aisles of your local Home Hardware getting all confused about what each ‘cue does and which one is best for you, check out our compilation below.
Here we’ll help you find the best home smoker for your space, cooking requirements, preferred style and budget.
And, when you’ve found the one, simply click buy now and Amazon can have it shipped right to your door for you. Easy peasy, so you can get on with dreaming about what you’re going to cook!
Burning Brisket is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate policy to learn more.
Table of Contents
Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker - Best Offset
If you want to smoke meat in your own backyard and you want to learn how to do it right then you can’t go past the holy grail of smokers, an offset. It’s one of the most authentic ways to smoke meat, and, although it’s not the easiest, a bit of practice will see you turning out mouthwatering meals with smoke rings and crispy bark that belong at a top barbecue joint.
When it comes to our top pick of the best offset smoker for home use, the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse from Char Broil is it!
Made from quality painted steel that’s thick enough to hold heat even in cooler climates, the Highland Reverse is everything you need to smoke at home and it’s got a good price stamped on it. This baby is big enough to do a whole brisket plus a pork butt, but isn’t so big that you’re paying to heat extra space. With a baffle plate and two chimney position options, set it up in the reverse flow configuration for improved heat and smoke dispersion, making it easier to get consistently good results time and time again.
If you want to grill, simply throw some burgers over the firebox grate. Or, swap out the grates in the main cooking chamber for an extra large grill-off area. With cool-touch handles, a solid cart, a side-rack and built-in thermometer, the Highland Reverse Offset Smoker will take you from your beginner days to advanced and it totally looks the part.
Specs for the Oklahoma Joe's Highland Reverse Offset Smoker
Fuel type: Charcoal or wood
Barbecue material: Painted steel
Grate material: Porcelain-coated wire
Cooking capacity: 619 sq. in. primary, 281 sq. in. secondary
Assembled size (in): 53(H) x 57(W) x 33.5(D)
Warranty: 2 years
Pros of the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Offset Charcoal Smoker:
- Reverse flow design creates even heat and smoke distribution making it simple to cook all your food thoroughly
- Can also be configured as a traditional offset smoker
- Cooking capacity is great for home use and has a bonus grilling area in the firebox
- Comes with extra grates that can be used to convert the main cooking chamber into a charcoal grill
- Made from reasonably thick steel that doesn’t warp even under high heats
- Sturdy cart makes it easy to move around
- Integrated storage racks
- Comes with one temperature gauge but also has an additional bung if you want to install another for even greater monitoring
Cons of the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Offset Charcoal Smoker:
Recteq RT-700 Bull - Best Pellet
Value-packed and built like a beast, the recteq RT-700 has everything you want and need wrapped up in a set and forget package that can do it all.
From it’s stainless steel body and grates to it’s best-of-it’s-kind PID temperature controller, built-to-last-300-years ceramic ignition system, and, WiFi connectivity, the RT-700 is the definition of quality.
But, what’s possibly even better than it’s super high quality is the super reasonable price tag on one of these top rated smokers.
On the recteq rt-700 you’ll have just over 700 square inches of cooking space, with the option to add a second grate. And, the results are incredible! This thing smokes to perfection, gets hot enough for great grilling and searing, can be used for baking and even dehydrates too.
It’s got a huge 40 pound pellet hopper giving you more than 40 hours of unassisted smoke time, a washable interior light and 2 meat probes for accurate feedback on how your cook is going direct on your smartphone.
Pellet smoking seriously doesn’t get any better than recteq. Oh, and it’s got a bumper to bumper 6 year warranty for peace of mind too.
Specs for the recteq RT-700
Barbecue type: Wood pellet grill and smoker
Barbecue material: Stainless steel and powder-coated steel
Grate material: Stainless steel
Cooking capacity: 702 sq. in., or 1,054 sq. in. with optional extra rack
Pellet hopper capacity: 40 lbs
Heat range: 200 – 500°F +
Fuel type: Wood pellet
Dimensions: 54″(W) x 36″(D) x 50″(H)
Weight: 195 lbs
Warranty: 6 years
Pros of the recteq RT-700:
- Incredible quality on all components of this pellet smoker
- AMAZING price for what you get
- Best of it’s kind PID-style temperature controller keeps internal temperature within a few degrees of your target
- Smokes, grills, bakes, sears and dehydrates
- 40+ hour max smoke time from huge pellet hopper
- Remote control via WiFi on smartphone
- Comes with 2 meat probes so you’ll know exactly when you meat is done
- Interior light
- Self-cleaning shutdown mode reduces firepot cleaning
- 6 year comprehensive warranty
Cons of the recteq RT-700:
- No easy way to empty the pellet hopper. But, recteq argue that it’s because having a door lets moisture in and you can actually keep unused pellets in the recteq for a few weeks without any problems
Kamado Joe Classic II - Best Smoke and Grill
Retailing for a very reasonable price, the Kamado Joe Classic II comes with everything you need to smoke, grill, braise, sear and even bake mouthwatering meals in your own backyard. So, smoked pork butt? Wood-fired pizza? Reverse seared tri-tip? Grilled burgers? Pumpkin pie? Why, yes, sir!
Before you go asking why isn’t the Big Green Egg rated as our best kamado home smoker, check out the innovative features that Kamado Joe Classic II offers for a fraction of the price!
Firstly, there’s the fiberglass gasket that’s guaranteed to keep your smoker sealed for 10 years longer than any other kamado on the market. Then, there’s the Kontrol Tower which is a rust-proof, aluminum vent that keeps the weather out while making it easy to take precise control of your temperature. The Air Lift Hinge means being able to lift the heavy ceramic lid with your pinky. The Divide and Conquer cooking system gives you the flexibility to cook in a whole heap of different configurations. And, the unique six-piece firebox won’t just crack if you accidentally run the unit too hot.
It’s the result of many, many years of barbecuing and is undoubtedly one of the best smokers on the market today. For all the deets, read our full review of the Kamado Joe Classic II or, to shop, click the Amazon link below.
Specs for the Kamado Joe Classic II
Fuel type: Charcoal
Barbecue material: Glazed ceramic
Grate material: 304 stainless steel
Cooking capacity: 256 sq. in. in basic setup, 407 sq. in. with grill expander, 508 sq. in. with 2 sets of grates or 660 sq. in. with 2 sets of grates and expander
Heat Range: 225°F-750°F
Model: Classic II
Assembled size (in): 46.5″ W x 48″ H x 28″ D
Warranty: Lifetime on ceramics, 5 years on metal parts, 3 years on heat deflector and pizza stone, 1 year on thermometer and gasket
Pros of the Kamado Joe Classic II:
- Does everything barbecue including smoking, searing, grilling and baking
- Cool-touch, thick ceramic shell offers excellent heat retention that’s ideal for cooking in cooler climates
- Stainless steel cooking racks are rust-resistance and long-lasting
- Fiberglass gasket with stainless steel latch is incredibly effective at sealing the heat and smoke into this kamado
- Air Lift Hinge makes it effortless and safe to lift the heavy lid
- Kontrol Tower enables precise control of the temperature while keeping the weather out
- Divide and Conquer cooking system allows you to create a cooking space that’s perfect for all the parts of your meal
- Six-piece firebox lasts longer as it won’t crack under high heat
- Easy to clean, slide out ash draw
- Excellent warranty
- Excellent price
Cons of the Kamado Joe Classic II:
- Not a large capacity smoker. But, it’s still big enough to cook for a large family and quick to turn out pizzas one by one
Memphis Grills Elite Built-In Pellet Smoker and Grill - Best Built-In
This baby isn’t cheap. But, if you’re building an outdoor kitchen, installing something that’s really great and versatile enough to grow with your cooking is going to pay off in the long run. So, say hello to the Memphis Grills Elite Built-In Pellet Smoker and Grill.
Made from high-quality, double-layered stainless steel, the Memphis Elite is every bit as good as it looks. Offering excellent heat retention, an oven grade gasket and dual fans for even heat and smoke circulation, not only is this smoker ideal for colder climates, it’s also incredibly efficient in terms of fuel usage.
But, smoking isn’t all the Memphis Elite does. Going all the way up to 700°F, the sear is incredible so steaks, burgers, kebabs or pizza are a big “hell yeah!”. And, thanks to the perforated insert that’s included as standard, you’re actually grilling directly over the wood fired pellet flame giving you better flavor and a superior crust.
Of course you’ve also got WiFi on a barbecue of this caliber. Paired with the huge dual pellet hopper, you can smoke for up to 62 hours remotely from your phone. Total control and total freedom to focus on the game, entertaining, or anything that’s not babysitting a smoker, the Memphis Elite Built-In is a complete grill and smoke solution.
Specs for the Memphis Grills Elite Built-In Pellet Grill and Smoker
Barbecue material: Double walled #304 stainless steel
Grate material: 6mm nickle plated steel
Cooking capacity: 862 sq. in. in basic, 1,274 sq. in. with optional grate expanders
Pellet hopper capacity: 24lbs
Heat Range: 180-700°F
Fuel type: Wood pellet
Assembled size (in): 28(H) x 39(W) x 29(D)
Warranty: 30 days on meat probe, 3 years on electronics, 7 years on remaining parts
Pros of the Memphis Grills Elite Pellet Smoker and Grill:
- 100% high-grade stainless steel gives the durability you need in a built-in smoker
- Doubled wall insulation improves fuel efficiency and makes it suitable for using in colder climates
- Oven-grade gasket and convection fans distribute the heat and smoke evenly so you don’t need to move meat around
- Large pellet hoppers give up to 62 hours of smoke time
- Wide temperature range makes it suitable for smoking, grilling, searing, baking, braising and wood-firing
- Perforated insert lets you grill directly over the flame
- WiFi enabled for remote control from your smartphone
- Includes 1 meat probe so you can monitor your meat precisely
- Sleek design with built-in storage drawers
- Great warranty
Cons of the Memphis Grills Elite Pellet Grill and Smoker:
- Like all pellet smokers, it needs electricity to run so you’ll need to incorporate that into your outdoor kitchen setup
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker - Best Compact
Looking for a smoker but don’t have a large space to house it? If so, the Weber Smokey Mountain might just be the best home smoker for you.
Designed to look similar to Weber’s iconic kettle grills, this vertical smoking tower gives you an impressive 726 square inches of cooking space but only takes up a fraction of this room on the ground.
And, as you’d expect from Weber, the household name of barbecues, every bit of this charcoal smoker has been carefully constructed with one purpose in mind, mouthwateringly good results. With a durable porcelain-enameled exterior, quality dampers, a built-in temperature gauge and removable fuel door for easy access, achieving competition-grade smoked meats at home is definitely doable.
The Smokey Mountain is also compatible with the iGrill 2 meat thermometers that are sold separately and are a worthwhile addition. These nifty things let you monitor the internal temperature of your meat on your phone without having to open the meat, letting precious heat and smoke out.
Available in three different sizes to suit your backyard, the Weber Smokey Mountain is a top choice for any home smoker.
Specs for the Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal Cooker 22"
Fuel type: Charocal
Barbecue material: Porcelain-enameled steel
Grate material: Plated steel
Cooking capacity: 726 sq. in.
Dimensions: 48.5(H) x 23(W) x 24(D)
Warranty: 10 years on bowl and lid, 5 years on plastics and cleaning system, 2 years on remaining parts
Pros of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker:
- Space saving vertical design is ideal for anyone who still wants a large cooking capacity but doesn’t have a big yard
- Capable of creating competition-worthy meats
- Quality construction from household name
- Removable fuel door makes it easy to add charcoal while cooking without having to move the goods
- Dual dampers result in excellent temperature control
- Built-in thermometer
- Compatible with iGrill 2 for accurate meat temperature monitoring
- Great warranty
Cons of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker:
- Unlike other Weber’s, there’s no hook to hang the lid on the side so you do need to find somewhere to put it while you take meat on or off
- Expect some smoke to leak around the door. But, in our opinion, it’s not significant enough to affect your results
Bradley Digital Electric Smoker - Best for Apartments
Electric smoking is the way to go if you live in an apartment or condo where the neighbors won’t appreciate smoke billowing through their outdoor areas. Okay, maybe billowing is a bit of an exaggeration, but still, electric smokers are the way to go (and often the only permitted option) for high-density urban living.
And, the Bradley Digital Electric Smoker is our top pick as the best smoker for home use in apartments. Why? This mid-priced electric cabinet smoker not only makes your cook easy by automatically keeping the temperature stable. But, it’s also got a neat automatic feeding system that pushes wood bisquettes into the smoker when needed so that if you’ve got 99 problems, smoking ain’t one.
It’s perfect for anyone who’d rather be focused on entertaining or watching the game and can even be controlled via the Bradley smartphone app. When the food’s done, there’s even an automatic-off feature to make overcooking your meat a thing of the past. Just set the app to alert your phone and you’ll know exactly when it’s time to eat.
Made from stainless steel with commercial grade silicone, the Bradley Digital Smoker does a great job of holding the heat at smoke well. There’s also two heating elements, as opposed to the usual one, so that one looks after the cooking temperature while the other solely regulates the smoke for the ultimate control.
Specs for the Bradley Digital Electric 4-Rack Smoker
Barbecue material: Stainless steel
Grate material: Coated wire
Cooking capacity: 520 sq. in.
Fuel type: Digital electric
Wattage: 500 watt cooking element + 125 watt smoking element
Temperature range: Up to 320F
Assembled size (in): 24(W) x 14(D) x 39(H)
Warranty: 1 year
Pros of the Bradley Digital Electric Smoker:
- Ideal for home use where having a smoky smoker isn’t permitted or favored
- Set and forget smoker with automated smoke and temperature control
- Can be controlled via the app for hands-free smoking
- Auto-off feature for safety and to prevent overcooked meat
- Quality build holds the heat and smoke well for efficient electricity and fuel consumption
- Features two heating elements; one to control the cooking temperature and the other to control the release of smoke for perfect results
- Easy clean-up with the removable ash catcher
- Bradley real wood bisquettes are available in more than 16 flavors so you’ll be spoilt for choice
Cons of the Bradley Digital Electric Smoker:
- Doesn’t work as well at higher temperatures – it’s a true smoker
- You’ll need to keep buying the Bradley bisquettes to run this smoker as it’s designed to be used. But, they are pretty darn good!
Traeger Tailgater Pellet Grill and Smoker - Best Portable
If you’re looking for a smoker you can use at home but also pack into the car or truck to go tailgating, camping or to the beach, the Traeger Tailgater is a must-see. Solid, high-quality and compact, simply fold down the legs and throw in Traeger’s power inverter and you’re good to go.
Featuring Traeger’s popular Arc Controller with Advanced Grilling Logic, this unit gives you hands-off smoking that’s 100% wood fired for unbeatable taste.
Inside you’ve got 300 square inches of cooking space. And, there’s a meat probe included so you’ll know exactly when your meat’s cooked to perfection.
In terms of grilling, the Traeger Tailgater maxes out at about 450°F which, in our opinion, isn’t quite hot enough for high-heat searing. But, in terms of being able to quickly cook up some burgers or sausages, it definitely does the trick.
Specs for the Traeger Tailgater Pellet Smoker
Barbecue material: Stainless steel
Grate material: Porcelain-coated steel
Cooking capacity: 300 sq in
Pellet hopper capacity: 8lbs
Heat range: 160°F – 450°F
Fuel type: Wood pellets
Assembled size (in): 36(H) x 37(W) x 18(D)
Warranty: 3 years
Pros of the Traeger Tailgater Pellet Smoker:
- High-quality stainless steel build
- Gives excellent hands-off temperature control
- Decent capacity for a portable smoker
- Offers the versatility to smoke, grill, bake or braise
- EZ folding legs make it quick to pack into the car
- Easy to clean
- 3 year warranty